Monday, December 10, 2007

Cookies for Christmas



Cookies......How is that there is such a thing as Christmas cookies? I dont know, but I do know that 26 years ago my friend Cathy and I started this grand idea that we would make all these different recipes of cookies and candy. Then we would give them as gifts to family and friends. This worked great for the first few years as we were both stay at home moms and it was fun to do it together. People LOVED getting the home baked goods. It felt as if we were giving a wonderful gift of ourselves. As the years have passed I have still kept the tradition alive. I still make a lot of cookies but not quite as many as I used to. Cathy and I do not do them together anymore. We both started working after our kids got older. It got harder and harder to fit making the cookies in before Christmas. Every year I think "I am not doing it this year" and then I buy the ingredients. My family looks forward to eating the cookies around the tree during the season and of course on Christmas. It has become a tradition that Tom complains that I make these cookies and give them to everyone and he gets none. I think I may just make them now so that we can play that game. He does get cookies!! We had a plate the other night while we watched a Christmas movie. Something about it is so tasty and wonderful. I guess there is something to Christmas cookies that make them special.

I also had the joy of sending a plate with Alisha to take to Roxboro for all my girls and Andrew to eat as they had a weekend together. The thought that they were continuing the tradition of being together and eating my cookies around the Christmas tree gives me great joy. Maybe someday my grandchildren will talk about grandma's wonderful Christmas cookies. I guess I will have to keep making them for now. They do bring me joy in so many ways.

2 comments:

Tom Burger said...

So now the grandkids will be getting cookies before I get any? It's getting worse.

Tom Burger said...

Home-baked with lots of love, these cookies are as much a part of our Christmas tradition as a tree, presents, and Luke 2. They are the best and I love you for making them.

Now I just wish you'd let me eat some of them.